It’s the season …
She’s pregnant, I am pregnant … Oh gosh what have I got myself into? How did this happen? Ahhhh am so excited, I am pregnant… Women express the way the feel when they find out they are pregnant in so many different ways. Emotions run so high and can go either way. Varying expressions, varying feelings and also varying pregnancy journeys.
Some have it easy, some have it difficult, and for some it’s a roller coaster while for others it’s a breeze.
After I got married, I got pregnant very quickly, I think on my wedding night to be precise. However I didn’t know I was pregnant. I was told by friends and family that I glowed. Well to me I was just newly married so I had every reason to glow. I never really experienced any changes in my body except that I glowed and looked prettier, if I must say so myself. I was never one to monitor my menstrual cycle so didn’t know what to expect or look out for as relates to pregnancy. My elder sister is a doctor and growing up she always kept a tap on my cycle. Yea funny I know right, well after I got married, she started her countdown. My menstrual cycle was delayed but I really wasn’t bothered about it.
To cut the story short, I took the test after she brought the stick to my house and voila… I was pregnant. My pregnancy with my first was a breeze and very quickly 3 months after I had my first child, I got pregnant with the second. It was a breeze and a walk over again…
Who know what’s going to happen next?
Some women do get symptoms very early on and some don’t. For some it can be a daunting experience even though it can be an overwhelmingly joyful time, looking forward to welcoming your bundle of joy into the world.
Whatever feeling it is you go through, it helps for one to stay positive. The power of positive confessions really helped me. Having the right support whether family or friends is very needful. Speak out loud how you desire to feel. The power in the words we speak go a long way to keep us on top of our game.
Yes your body is changing, your waistline is expanding, you feel tired and nauseous, hormones are running wild, try and stay positive and in control , this will get you through your pregnancy journey.
In all of this be thankful for the privilege of bringing a life into the world.
Enjoy it, you are worth it.
1. Before you leave your home, decide not to come back home with any extra pounds, continue with your healthy journey. If you are able to stay away from junk whilst at home then you also have the power to stay away when you are away from home.
2. Draw out your meal plans: If you eat 3 or 5 or 6 times a day, make sure to continue on that meal plan whilst on holiday to avoid binging. Watch your portions.
3. Drink lots of water, before breakfast, after meal, during the day, with every meal. Stay hydrated
4. Stay active: Get in some physical exercise going to help you burn calories. Make it fun. Find out if the hotel where you are staying has a gym or outdoor exercise or beach exercise. Get involved and enjoy it. Swimming is also a great exercise to do as well as walking.
5. Choose fresh and natural meals and sugars: Eat a lot of greens
6. Indulge but with control and within boundaries: Yes you are on holiday and have the right to enjoy and relax. But bear in mind that you don’t want to undo everything or your hard work pre holiday. Eat within boundaries and if you don’t have control, seek for healthy alternatives. I ate a lot of fruits and vegetables. You can have a cheat day or treat but have it in the right quantity .Trust me; there is a great fulfilment when you come home lighter or even same as you went on holiday.
7. If you have access to a spa, make the most of it: Use the sauna and steam rooms to sweat out some calories. Sweat until your sweat has no salt in it. This also opens up your pores.
8. Relax : Yes you are on holiday, ensure you relax very well. Pamper yourself, dress nice and celebrate yourself. Style and feel great.
Let your motto be – Eat Healthy, Stay Active and Look Fab